Farming & Cooking in Messenia
A unique experience where Art meets Nature
Take part in this farming and cooking experience and explore rustic life and the rich cultural heritage of Messinia in an eco- farm, built on 1.3 acres of land. The eco-farm is a multi-functional space, an arts’ and educational centre, and a treehouse resort. Complete with an amphitheatre, it has become the key entertainment hub in the region.
First, you will enjoy a tour in all the facilities of the eco-farm; the amphitheatre, the crops, the animal farm and the vegie garden. You’ll get the chance to pick fresh fruit and vegetables, feed the animals and marvel at the unique treehouses, built from all-natural materials.
Then, a local cook will unravel the secrets of the Greek cuisine. You will have the chance to learn how to make and bake bread in a wood-fire oven, prepare homemade food and local delicacies in the eco-farm’s open-air kitchen and finally enjoy your traditional meal. The meal includes appetizers, mains and dessert, accompanied by organic wine (red, white or rose), soft drinks, Greek coffee or tea.
- Immerse yourselves in the local culture with a stroll through a small village and enrichen your day with a hiking tour to the Tower of Kapetanakis, one of the most famous towers in Mani.
- Attend a woodcraft or a sculpture workshop and make your own creations with experienced teachers. Our little friends may attend a pottery workshop, taking their creations with them when they leave.
- If you’re into essential oils, immerse yourselves in an essential oil preparation workshop based on the aromas of herbs from Mt Taygetos, renowned for its unique biodiversity and flora across Europe!
- Participate in a wine tasting experience, with local wines from the Peloponnese.
- Experience the unique taste of Messinian olive oil and find out all its secrets.
- Visit a honey bee farm. Taste pure, golden Greek mountain honey straight from the beehive and learn all about the honey-making craft from experienced local beekeepers.
- Visit local vineyards and taste red or white Messinian wine. This activity is only available in August and September.
- Take a stroll through an olive grove and visit the local olive oil mill, where olive oil is produced in the traditional way, with stone presses. This activity is only available from October and February.
This Farming and Cooking in Messinia is ideal for families with children of all ages; children under 10 may participate with adult supervision.
Period of operation: Throughout the year excluding Sundays and official holidays; from May to October for vegie picking
Duration: 5 hours guided tour in the eco-farm, located just15km (10 min) from Kalamata