Olive Oil Tasting Workshops for Kids
Let us take your kids a tour through their senses in Mykonos…
In the Olive Oil Tasting Workshops for Kids in Mykonos, we will use all our senses! Our senses are the way we explore the world and understand what is going on around us. Teaching kids about their senses is very important. Activities that stimulate the senses help the brain develop and function at its peak.
- Smelling and the Nose: At the top of the inside of our nose are millions of tiny little hairs called cilia. These hairs are connected to smell sensors which send signals to our brain about smell via the olfactory nerve. Smelling helps us in many ways. It first makes our food taste better. We can’t really taste that many flavors, but with of help the smell we can “taste” thousands of different things.
- Tasting and the Tongue: The tongue uses taste buds or sensor cells to determine the type of food and send taste signals back to our brains. The tongue can taste four different flavors: bitter, sour, salty and sweet. It was once thought that each of these tastes came from a different spot on the tongue. Now scientists say that flavors can be tasted from most any part of the tongue.
- Using Smell and Taste Together: Maybe we can taste four distinct flavors but we can smell over 10,000 smells. When we eat something, the flavor comes from a combination of taste and smell.
Through this fun and educational workshop, children not only stimulate their senses but also learn:
- how to use their senses in order to evaluate olive oil
- how different varieties of olive oils taste
- what are the negative attributes in olive oil
- what it means and tastes when olive oil is fruity, bitter and spicy
- how to know when the olive oil they are eating is good or faulty
- how the use of different olive oil on the same food can give a completely different taste the basic principles and health benefits of the Mediterranean Diet
But probably the most important knowledge they gain, from this young age, is how a good quality extra virgin olive oil really tastes. This training will help them be more conscious consumers when they grow up, make better buying choices and contribute too, to the change of the olive oil industry. Children are our future ambassadors and we believe that investing in them by offering the right knowledge and tools will help them create a better world.
How to book
This family activity is ideal for families with children over 9 years old. It operates from May to November and it cannot be booked independently, but as part of a multi-day tailormade trip in the Greek Islands.
Please contact your MAMAKITA family travel specialist to tailor your trip to your family needs, budget and age of kids by filling in this form. We strongly advise you to make your request at least one month before the starting date of your trip, and ideally 3 months in advance, if your travel dates include July and August, the peak months for family vacations in Greece.