Seven Things to do in Greece before your kids are too old
Greece is famous for its islands, its sunny summer, its beautiful beaches, and clear seas. But it is not just about that. It is not even just about its ancient civilization, philosophy, mythology or archaeological treasures. Greece is also an ideal destination for families seeking to immerse in a rich culture other than their own and make new meaningful human connections through an authentic experience. Choose any time of the year; Greece is the best place for kids!
Smooth mountains will host your first hikes with your children; mild rivers will welcome your family’s first rafting adventure; traditional villages and authentic products will take you back to nature and long ago times. Your family journey through this gentle landscape, the ancient myths that will come back to life, the new tastes and flavors that you will indulge in, will unfold a learning experience that will stay with you for many years to come.
Here is MAMAKITA family travel advice for an exquisite experience of Greece’s Seven Wonders for Kids, all discovered first hand wonder by wonder!
- Give your children the chance to fall in love with the Sea, to learn how to jump in it from seaside rocks, how to swim, how to explore the underwater richness! There is no other seaside as welcoming as that of the small unspoiled Aegean and Ionian islands. Skip Santorini and Mykonos. Slow your pace down and enjoy the sandy, baby and toddler-friendly beaches of the Small (or Lesser) Cyclades (Koufonisia, Schinoussa, and Donoussa); search for the “eye” of Naxos along the coast of Plaka; sail in the Saronic Gulf and stroll around the car-free islands of Hydra and Spetses; indulge yourselves in island-hopping off the beaten track in the smaller Dodecanese Islands of Leros, Lipsi, Marathi, Arki, and Pserimos!
- Answer your children’s questions about the beginnings of modern civilization by introducing them to Greek Mythology and taking them back to human origins. Take a mythology tour around the Acropolis; “Hunt the Treasure” in the cobbled streets of one of the most ancient and continuously inhabited neighborhoods of the Western World, the Athens Plaka; meet the Greek Gods, the Muses and the mythological Heroes as they appear in the names of herbs and flowers in the Athens Botanical Garden or in the Greek mountains and plateaus, like solemn Parnassos and imposing but sweet hearted Menalon; learn about Hercules’s life in the original locations of his Labors, in the Peloponnese, on the mountain of Oiti, or in the areas of Macedonia and Thrace; participate in an archeological dig in Ancient Olympia, Crete or Patras and observe the work of an archaeologist!
- Babies and toddlers need to experience nature, the soil, and its fruits. Participate in the daily life of a farm in the Greek countryside. Feed the animals, collect fresh eggs, pick the season’s vegetables and fruit and create your own meals. Spend time in the countryside away from the urban centers and give your kids the opportunity to develop their skills in traditional workshops, like felt making and loom weaving in Zagori, ceramics and pottery in Mycenae and Athens, soap making from extra virgin olive oil in Crete, mosaic art in Crete and Mani, grape harvesting and pressing in Nemea in Northern Peloponnese.
- Real learning takes place through experience! Raise your younger kids’ and your teens’ awareness about environmental protection by visiting with them the injured sea turtles in the Archelon Sea Turtle Rescue Centre in Athens or following the traces of the turtles on the beaches where they lay their eggs in the island of Zakynthos (Zante) and in the Peloponnese; teach your kids the importance of bears and wolves in an ecosystem by visiting the Arcturos Wolf & Brown Bear Sanctuary in Florina; admire the beauty of the wild horses at the Nestos river and the dolphins in the Corinthian Gulf; enjoy numerous outdoors family adventures at the Nestos Galani Adventure Park!
- Help your kids develop their imagination as you hike in woods that in ancient times were believed to be “home” to mythological beings like nymphs and fairies! In central Peloponnese the Menalon Trail is covered with fir trees and abundantly endowed with spring waters. Streams and rivers keep the myths and legends alive at every step you take. Here is where Goddess Artemis (or Diana) used to hunt; over there is where her follower, nymph Callisto, mother of Arcas and the Arcadians, was transformed into a bear and was later “placed” among the stars as Ursa Major; here is where Rivergod Ladon transformed his daughter, naiad Daphne, into a laurel tree; or where Pan, the god of pastures, shepherds, flocks and woods fell in love with the nymph Syrinx, or where Aglaos, the “happiest Man on earth” lived.
- Explore some of the most unique locations in Greece in little visited Central Greece and Evia: go glamping with your kids in Nisi, let them play freely in its natural playground and participate in “Wheeling to Help,” the most amazing community; live a one-of-a-kind experience in Pavliani and the internationally acclaimed Asopos Natural Park in Vasilikia Mountain Farm;” let your kids learn through play at the specially designed Newton Park in Ninemia Farm in Karpenisi; stay at Keramario at the foothills of Agrafa!
- Experience unforgettable leisure holidays at Costa Navarino and visit Sir Patrick Leigh Fermor’s Residence in Messenia, Peloponnese! In this part of Greece, you and your family will have the opportunity to live the authentic life of olive growers, learn the importance of the Mediterranean diet and add extra virgin olive oil as one of your basic cooking ingredients. You will be able to let your kids play in the perfectly organized Kids’ Club at Costa Navarino, or enjoy your ouzo and mezes while they play in the spacious squares of small Messenian towns, or the sandy and shallow Messenian beaches!
Need some help in trip planning? Willing to visit Greece with your kids and wondering which destination is the best for your family? Find here the best Greece Family Vacation packages designed by local travel advisors and enjoy your family holidays in Greece without worrying about family friendly accommodation or kid-friendly tours and activities. All packages are customizable according to your needs, interests, travel pace and your kids’ age.